preachjacobs.com: the blog

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Common Interview


Words by: Preach Jacobs

There hasn’t been an emcee that has grown in the eyes of the public as much as Common. Since his debut in 1992, Common (formerly Common Sense) has transformed into an icon, becoming a poster-child for authentic hip-hop. Now with his eighth album, Common maintains a calm demeanor about his music and other career paths. Acting is his next undertaking. The Chicago emcee has starred in blockbusters like ‘Smoking Aces,’ ‘American Gangster’ and will appear in this summer’s ‘Wanted.” It’s apparent that Common’s focus is shifting but he assures us that music is still in play.

“Right now, I want to do movies more than music. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not planning on retiring or anything from music; I just feel as an artist I want to challenge myself. Movies are just more exciting to me right now, and I’m having fun doing them.”

Even though film is taking the front seat in his career, he is confident that his new album will offer a side the public hasn’t seen with him before. After Common’s “Like Water For Chocolate” album, featuring the Grammy-Winning “The Light” produced by Jay Dee, I wondered if there was going to be more Dilla production on this new project or any other Dilla related efforts in the making. READ MORE…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home